08 September 2006

It's panic time

Calvin: You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes: What mood is that?
Calvin: Last-minute panic. (Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes)

I must say, this is true for me. I can get myself all pumped up to write when I'm nearing the deadline (and sometimes, when I've passed the deadline). And right now, I am in the last-minute panic mood. I should be writing about the processing of pig dung at the moment, but I thought I'd take a break and get a blog entry for the day.

I wish I were one of those writers who can just sit in front of the computer and type away something creative within a short period of time, but I'm not. Oh, once in a while, I get inspired, but that's a very infrequent once-in-a-while. I dream and dream of the day when I will be able to do that though. A friend of mine keeps assuring me that very few writers can probably churn out really good articles in a flash, but that's still a very few, which means there are those who can do it. And I do wish I could do that. Still, I should be happy that I do get inspired to write at all.

Let me share with you my ultimate writer's dream: being published in the National Geographic. I don't know why, but I have such respect for that magazine. I love that magazine, and am glad that I've been a member since 2000. If I could afford it, I'd sign up as a lifetime member. Of course, writing for it, well, that's just a dream. I don't think I'll ever get anything published there. I like natural and earth sciences, but, sigh...I don't think I have the guts, let alone the talent, to write for that mag. My friend Ka would pooh pooh me and say I shouldn't say that but...

Speaking of magazines, I wish I could renew my subscription to Discover and Scientific American. Too expensive to do so right now, and I remember being so frustrated with my Discover subscription before because a lot of my copies never made it to me.

Oh well, I better get back to my piggy article. I do love those pigs though, and the fact that they're indirectly my bread and butter makes me love them more.

2 Comments:

At 4/10/06 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

calvin and hobbes is the greatest comic strip.. ever..

 
At 4/10/06 5:55 PM, Blogger isa said...

Amen to that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home