17 August 2006

Into the future

Future: That period of time in which our affairs prosper, our friends are true and our happiness is assured. At least, that's how Ambrose Bierce apparently described it.

Now that I'm just a couple of days away from turning another year older, I sure wish that's what my future holds. But nothing is certain. I've always wondered if I should be one of those people who take things one day at a time, you know live life on impulse. I used to be like that. It's a lot of fun, although there is a downside. Then again, I can be one of those people who is always preparing for a good future, but that would be boring, not to say too worrying.

When I was younger, and with a lot less responsibilities, I did live life pretty much on impulse. It's easy to be like that when there is no one relying on you for anything. But then, on impulse, I had a strange relationship, which blessed me with a child (that I love so much my heart could burst). Ergo, now I have to think of the future, not so much mine, but my son's. Which is why I wish I could define the future the way Mr Bierce sarcastically did, without the sarcasm. But but but, life is not easy and life is not fair. Along those lines allow me to recall my favorite little kid (next to mine, that is): Calvin, whose immortal words (among many) include "but why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?" (He was talking about the world, but the quote fits.)

I suppose because if it was, I'd hate my life. Or would I? Paris Hilton doesn't seem to hate her life, in fact, she basks in it. Well, need I say more? I certainly wouldn't want her life, even with all the money and conveniences it brings.

Of Mr Bierce's definition, I think I can safely say I'm pretty assured of true friends, and in some degree, happiness. Because despite my complaints about life, I'm pretty much a happy person.

But I would like to have some kind of financial security, which at this point in my life, I don't have. And again, not so much for me, but for my son. Somehow though, I've dug myself into a hole, and I'm having just a wee bit of trouble getting out. BUT, I will!!! I don't exactly know how (I've been reading something from Oprah, he he he), and when yet, but I'm hoping I'll be around long enough to make it happen.

Oh well, whatever's into the future, one thing I can say is that I'm pretty much ready for it. No point avoiding it, is there?

On a lighter note: here's a link to one of my (many) favorite Calvin and Hobbes strips.

Calvin and Hobbes (August 11, 1995)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home